Sagewood Country

Welcome to Sagewood Country! Crafts, Gardens, Challenges and much more. Come visit and say HI!

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Grillin' In the Summer...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
K8 McCridhe

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Grillin' In the Summer...   Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:39 am

Been doing a lot of grilling since I got home.
Well... I do the prep work and Stray tends the fire.
Charcoal Brickets and a chunk or two of hickory, pinion or mesquite. (I'm trying to convince Stray that apple wood is not just for pork Exclamation Exclamation What a Face )

So... with just the three of us, there's usually more fire than food. With the heat pouring on, most often we're more interested in cold foods rather than hot meals.

Been grilling up roasts for cold plates and sandwiches, chicken and some singleton steaks (I bought a freezer pack back in Tulsa, and we're getting down to the last of it) to put on salads, and burgers to put in the freezer for the winter months when a bit of grilled taste will be a welcome change. Tonight, decided to have him grill some sausages to see what they'd taste like on soda biscuits.

Of course, I like to nuke spuds until they're almost done, split them in half and set them on the grill to brown. Or I wrap them in aluminum foil with butter & herbs, maybe some onion and carrots... mmmmm... That foil pouch works for vegies and mushrooms, too. But it you're starting out with frozen vegies, set them out on the grill first... unless you're cooking a roast or something. Amazing how long frozen vegies take to cook, when a frozen steak gets done pretty quick... (I like a bit of black on the outside and a nice rich pink on the inside...)

I'm going to look up how to make bread on the grill... and biscuits... geek

Basically... besides the fact that I'm a barbarian and think that fire cooking produces the best flavored food, I'm trying to keep the heat out of the kitchen. It was an old porch, and there are no vents into the kitchen. In the winter, this is fine... a small heater keeps the pipes from freezing and cooking keeps it comfortable. But in the summer, the AC doesn't get in there and it's just plain awful!

Soooo, uh... anybody got any spare suggestions?

Question Question Question Question Question Question Question
Why is this not posting
Question Question Question Question Question Question Question

Oh...
"The length of the title for this topic must be ranging between 10 and 255 characters"
Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lightfoot
Admin

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Grillin' In the Summer...   Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:27 am

I love grilled food too. I really should do more of it. Or I could come stay with you and eat your excess! Very Happy

K8 McCridhe

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Grillin' In the Summer...   Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:31 am

Sure!

I'll send the excess furniture and saved hoarded stuff home with you when you decide it gets too cold in the Ozarks. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LeaShi

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Grillin' In the Summer...   Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:17 am

I wish I had a grill. Crying or Very sad

www.AshleysCrescentMoon.etsy.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.AshleysCrescentMoon.etsy.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grillin' In the Summer...   

Back to top Go down

Grillin' In the Summer...
Page 1 of 1