Sagewood Country

Welcome to Sagewood Country! Crafts, Gardens, Challenges and much more. Come visit and say HI!

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ok..so what do you guys think

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sage
Admin

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Ok..so what do you guys think   Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:15 pm

About 12-21-12...that's Dec 21, 2012.........

and if He cannot turn their hearts
may He turn their ankles
that we may know them by their limping.

~Irish Prayer

http://sagewoodfarm.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sagewoodfarm.blogspot.com/
LeaShi

Number of posts : 485

PostSubject: Re: Ok..so what do you guys think   Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:57 am

Is there something significant happening then?

Wait, I just looked it up... the end of the world according to the Mayans. Or rather, the end of their calendar. I gotta say, I'd need a whole semester in college just to have this explained to me properly, and I can't even say then that I would fully understand how their calendar works. What I do understand is apparently the end of this calendar should coincide perfectly with interesting events out in space, for example, the beginning of the next solar cycle.

To be honest, I don't give this stuff much thought. If it is the end of days, there won't be much I can do about it. It's not like I could stop the sun from imploding. But, you asked for my opinion, so here it is. We panic too much. We thought the world was going to end in 2000 as well. According to Wikipedia, the first Mayan civilizations began to appear around 1800 BC, they "perfected" their calendar just a few hundred years after that. Then they proceeded to map out astrological and astronomical events for the next 3500 years. Maybe they decided the end of this particular cycle was a good stopping point. Seriously, some day, different people should have to pick up the slack. The Mayans believed in a cyclical existence - birth, death, regeneration, etc. Perhaps they thought their posterior could learn their ways and continue calculating events once the new cycle had begun. I've also read that the Mayans believed that our world was not the first in existence, but I kind of think this was metaphorical, not literal - kind of like how the cycle of birth and death of the Horned God in neo-paganism is a symbol for the cycle of the seasons and not an actual event. I don't think this world is eternal by any means, but I don't think the end of it will come in my lifetime. The soltice in 2012 will pass just as all the others have passed. And if it doesn't, well, I've been appreciative of my time here on Earth. Maybe if we're lucky, the sun being at the center of the galaxy will provide an interesting show in the sky. I just hope I have a good view.

www.AshleysCrescentMoon.etsy.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.AshleysCrescentMoon.etsy.com
Lightfoot
Admin

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Ok..so what do you guys think   Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:41 pm

I recently read a book on the Mayans and I still couldn't fully grasp the calendar. BTW: one of the docs at work saw it and said Maya means wealth in India. Just a useless piece of info.

It seems men have been predicting the end since time began. What is it about disaster that fascinates us so?

Anyhow, back to the original question. My understanding is that one of the things the Mayan's were interested in were the sun spots and how they influence the earth. They tracked events on earth as related to the increase in solar activity. Honestly, I think they have something there, to a point.

If we're all energy at our core, and we are, then it stands to reason that what we do influences the things/beings in our surroundings. How much we do so is open for debate, though personally, I think the amount of emotion we feel has a lot more to do with our influence, not just actions.

Looking at the world right now, there is quite a bit of negative energy radiating out. This has been steadily getting worse over the last 10 years or so. Increase in natural disasters, decline in economics, increase in terrorism, and general unrest. I look for the next 2-4 years to be challenging for many, no matter who the wins the election next week. (No psychic ability required of that prediction.) And we will have another presidential election just before 12/21/12, which means we'll have a potentially intense period of disagreement going on here in this country just before the event.

Now the question becomes which comes first, our negative energy or the solar storms? We certainly aren't helping the situation with our own energy. Or is the sun causing us to be more negative, influencing the turmoil on earth?

If in fact, the sun has an increase in solar activity around that time we could most certainly have an interruption in all our computers and electrical equipment. THAT has happened before. With severe enough solar flares, it could make for a mess.

What if instead, it signals a time of change for the better. Sort of a cleansing? Maybe Mother Earth is gonna shake some of these fleas off her back. I don't see the world "ending" just yet. It could and like Lea said, I hope I have a good view.

Having said all that....it doesn't hurt to take the long view and start putting back a little extra, having a plan in place in case of disruption of services. And many things can cause that....blizzards, hurricanes, loosing a job, illness, etc. You can't prepare for everything but you can make general preps.

I took quite a bit of ribbing when I installed a hand pump prior to 2000. Last night a breaker went and we can't get the pump to work (we're waiting on the electrician). That hand pump has been a blessing today. And it's not the first time! If it takes a couple of days to get the pump fixed, we'll be only a little inconvenienced.

The best part is, I've been building my emergency fund, so the money is there to pay for the repairs needed. Very Happy

Sage
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ok..so what do you guys think   Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:11 pm

OK..I wasn't clear enough in my question then.
I'm not talking about 'end times' by anymeans...I don't believe the 'world will end'..nada. Not going to happen..what I AM speaking of..is the scientific evidence to back up this date.
Look again..do a search on 'pole shift'......and magnetic fields..along with the magnetic center of our universe/galaxy.
Do I think it's the end times..no no no..never said that.
Do I think things may change.......well yeah. It's already been proven that it's happened before, and we all know we live in a cyclic world...a lot of scientific basis is in this magnitic pull and solar flares....
Would it do much good to 'prepare'...probably not..that wasn't where I was going with that. *IF* ..and that's an IF..the poles did shift..whether a tetter or a full tatter...there would be differences in earth structure..where I sit..would probably get covered with water, so why prepare to have to leave it all behind..and that's supposing it would happen over a period of time giving me time to leave it. (which if it were to happen..I don't think it would be a 'split second change'..)..
BUT..again..I wasn't talking about a single stand alone prophecy.. 'Mayan prophesy of 'end times'..and truthfully..they don't say it will end, but the cycle will begin again..reread that.
I wasn't talking about the I Ching and it's predicitions of this date..nor the 'Web Bot and it's predictions..nor many of the other predictions that lead to this date..
NONE of these things as a stand alone influence at all..however, I was speaking more along the scientific evidence that preceeds and comes upon that year..(then you can follow it up with the uncannyness of all the ancient predictions)..

So having clarified myself.....what do you think about the science part of it.......any happenings that could ..change the world as we know it.

may He turn their ankles

~Irish Prayer

Back to top Go down
LeaShi

PostSubject: Re: Ok..so what do you guys think   Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:23 pm

Oh just the science part of it? Everyone talks about the end of the world. I just figured that's what you meant too. As a matter of fact, when I looked up the date, pretty much the first whole page of websites were talking about the end of the world. (I'm like you, I don't think the Mayans thought the world was going to end, per se, just begin a new cycle.)

To be honest, I'm still looking for some articles that don't sound like they were written by a drunken fifth grader so I can form a better opinion on this. What I'm not finding is whether they think the possible shift will begin in 2012 or whether it will be completed then. What I have found is that apparently, a pole shift can take less than a 100 years, so we could see fairly sudden changes. I mean, we're already experiencing a shift in weather patterns and increased global warming, but it's hard to say whether these are related to an upcoming pole shift. I was going to joke that we'd all fall off the planet, but that's not really true, since gravity and magnetism aren't really related to each other. Darned science ruining my fun. Anywho, the biggest concern seems to be that we'll be less protected from the sun's radiation. Nobody's really said for certain whether this means we'll just need to wear more sunscreen, or whether we'll all be turned into crispy critters. One thing that could happen if the Earth's magnetic field is weakened is that we could experience more "northern lights" phenomena, which frankly would distract me from any potential harm that could come of the sun's particles leaching through the atmosphere would cause. I know I probably shouldn't be so excited about this, but since there's nothing I can do to stop a poll shift, I might as well enjoy it. Just think, you could experience that beauty in your own backyard, and not have to travel to Alaska or Antarctica to do it.

The one thing I do think is so freakin' cool about this date is, according to astrologer John Jenkins, "an extremely close conjunction of the northern hemisphere winter solstice sun with the crossing point of the Galactic equator and the ecliptic" will occur. This won't happen again for thousands of years (approximately 26,000, if the site I was reading was correct). It's too bad that there probably won't be something visual to coincide with this event; I'd love to have a picture or something so I could say I was there.

Just a little bit of trivia for you: two major films that were recently released reference the year 2012. I Am Legend is set in that year, and Death Race names it as the year the US economic system fails Smile.

Back to top Go down
Lightfoot
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ok..so what do you guys think   Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:46 am

"Everyone talks about the end of the world. I just figured that's what you meant too." I just followed along behind Lea with that line of thinking. OOoops!

My understanding is limited since it's been so long since I read all the info about poll shifts, but It's not usually a big sudden flip. Rather it's more gradual. Wasn't it the earthquake that caused the big Tsunami a few years ago, that caused a minor shift in the poles? Or did the shift cause the earthquake?

There's plenty of scientific evidence to collaborate the pole shift. Heck, we know the earth sort of wobbles around anyway. I can't say I've heard any scientist that say when they expect a pole shift to happen and for the life of me I can't remember exactly what Cayce said about the time. I know we're within the time frame he predicted.

Now Leah, what exactly does, "an extremely close conjunction of the northern hemisphere winter solstice sun with the crossing point of the Galactic equator and the ecliptic", mean?

LeaShi

PostSubject: Re: Ok..so what do you guys think   Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:29 am

Basically what that means is the the sun will pass through the center of the Milky Way galaxy (or at least it will appear that way to us, since I think both the sun and the Milky Way are actually stationary) at the same time that we have our winter solstice. Apparently, the exact time of this occurrence is supposed to be about 11:11 PM, if I remember correctly. If I can find that article again, I'll have to post it. It did a lot better job of explaining this than I can.

Back to top Go down
Sage
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ok..so what do you guys think   Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:59 pm

Ahh..now we are getting somwhere..

Ok..here's what I've read, saw on discovery channel ..etc.
We do have a glactic center of gravity..or a black hole if you will...and everyone knows black holes suck ..literally.
Anyway..our earthly gravitational center and the galactic gravitational center will actually 'meet' on this day. Two strong magnectic forces, working opposite each other from what I understand. (both suck) lol..ok.ok..

Anyway..yeah..science has shown us that a pole shift did happen once before..it's not a complete rotation of the earth..not ..north will be south..and south will be north..but if you look at our globe we tilt to one way, this gravitation pull SHOULD (science best guess here) pull and tilt us the other way.

Soooo here we go. Scientist are griping about 'global warming' all the time..we have to do this and do that to 'stop' global warming. WHAT IF...this has happened before..(remember..cyclic nature) and the solar flares are a normal part of that cyclic earth cycle..and we are NOT experiencing 'global warming' but the actual precursor events to said pole shift.
Solar flares happen all the time, but we are expected to experience a GREAT amount, that we have never seen before (In OUR human lifetime) in the year 2012.
Ok....put all this together, and I get....no global warming..but global change, in a normal earth cycle that WE (as humans) have no clue about.
I've read dates of every 13,000 years and every 26,000 years. Either way..it's time and due again..in 2012...

Ok..onto the poll shift itself. I truly don't believe that (should a pole shift occur..which I believe is VERY Possible) that it will not happen in an 'instant'. As magnets go..we've all played with them. They begin to pull on each other, long before they are close..there is a tug..a move..a tug ...a move..and when they come close enough to each others field of pull..only then do they 'shift toward' each other rapidly.
So why would we be any different if we happen to 'begin coming into alignement with the galactical center and black hole'? I do believe we'd start to feel the 'tugs' long before that date. Maybe in that year only..but before that date.

So..scientifically what would those 'tugs' exist of??
Everyone knows we live on 'floating' land ya know..over magma..a liquid pool of lava..hot hot hot!
So..if we begin to feel those 'tugs' what will happen..earthquakes..volcanic eruptions..slight movements of small island masses etc...even the strange storm now and again.
What do you think..what are some other 'tugs' we may feel....IF this scenario is correct.
To me..that's what we need to watch for the...year or two ahead of that final date when alignement occurs..those tugs could get nasty!

may He turn their ankles

~Irish Prayer

Back to top Go down
Lightfoot
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ok..so what do you guys think   Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:17 am

wow. What a topic to read right before I go to bed.

I see where you were going now. Hmmm...you could be on to something here. Let me sleep on it.

LeaShi

PostSubject: Re: Ok..so what do you guys think   Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:35 pm

From what I understand, a pole shift hasn't happened once before, but several times before. It seems to be the Earth's way of "righting itself" as we spin about the solar system. I got Niel's perspective on this last night, and he basically said that his opinion is even though the magnetic shift occurs over time, the Earth reacts very quickly to it once it's finally done. He didn't really explain why, but he doesn't think that solar flares and radiation will be our problem, but he did say that he thought a lot of people would die (it IS a big adjustment to make). Personally, I think more seismic activity would be a reasonable thing to expect. Charleston may actually finally get that major earthquake that everyone's been so leary of every since I can remember. We could also see more/stronger lightning storms, since one of the theories behind the cause of lightning solar wind. Lightning has also been known to occur in the ash clouds of volcanic eruptions, so increased seismic activity would also cause more lightning. As a matter of fact, seismic activity causes all sorts of weird weather phenomena, e.g. tsunamis, so yeah, we could expect that too. If this all comes to pass, I still have my fingers crossed for the aurora borealis in my own backyard.

Back to top Go down
Lightfoot
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ok..so what do you guys think   Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:43 pm

From what I understand, those who've been predicting this shift for years seem to think that we'll shift in a southern direction. That means it'll be even hotter than hell here! The area I'm in could very well end up under water. Or I could have beach front property.

That could definitely lead to some wild weather, earthquakes, volcanoes, etc.

LeaShi

PostSubject: Re: Ok..so what do you guys think   Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:51 pm

Saw this and laughed my ass off. Even though I liked John McCain, I'd never vote for her running on her own for president in a million years.

Back to top Go down
Lightfoot
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ok..so what do you guys think   Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:45 pm

LOL! That is funny. I liked her at first but her ultra conservative views quickly turned me away.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ok..so what do you guys think   

Back to top Go down

Ok..so what do you guys think
Page 1 of 1